Saturday, May 24, 2008

A few of my favorite things in Windhoek...

~The Green Market: a mini-farmer's market held every Saturday morning. Fresh produce, home-made cheese, honey comb, crafts, outdoor cafe featuring wonderful quiches and strong German coffee. Instead of paying each vendor as you shop, you collect slips from each purchase and pay a common cashier, thus, saving you from having to carry around a wad of small bills. Then, you bring your receipts and collect your purchases on the way out. Smart system.
~The Craft Center: Located in the old brewery building, the Craft Center as it's name implies features hand-made crafts from the different regions. Upstairs, is a lovely cafe, where you can sit on the deck and drink coffee from big pottery mugs. The food is wonderful, if you can get past ordering the apple crumble.
~The French-Namibian Cultural Center: This is the ONLY place where you can read the New York Times in all of Namibia. Sunny window reading nooks provide afternoons of reading/dozing pleasure. They also show French films on a regular basis.
~The American Cultural Center: Again, library access! The American Cultural Center has a wide range of fairly current periodicals and journals from the States.
~Fruit and Veg: Your one stop produce haven. They even have strawberries. 'Nuf said.
~I like it when the directions to the homeopathic doctor include turning left at one castle and right at the next castle. Where am I?

My extended convalesence in the capital has provided me time to hunt down other "luxury" items such as tofu, whole wheat pita bread and aluminum-free deodorant and homeopathic clinics.

As comfortable as I am here, I feel it's time to head back to site soon, soon. I miss my host family and my hut. There's no place like home.

No comments: